it is the courage to continue that counts. - Winston Churchill

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

England, Part 3 - Adventures with Sarcasm

The Tower of York - Mom and I did a very short bout of
touring on our first day in York (Sunday, after the
wedding). There was some very interesting history connected
to the place and it was fun to get our first taste of history.

Yes I did have to title this post "adventures with sarcasm", because my mom and I both confessed that one of the most enjoyable parts of our trip was the fact that we were able to be so sarcastic, and neither of us would judge the other. :) Sarcasm plays a big roll in our family life and in our communication. :) So of course this had to be a part of our trip. We had a great time though, whether we were being sarcastic or not. Here are some pictures and memos on a few of our favorite places across the pond :) These will cover our first few days of touring after the wedding. We stayed in the city of York after the wedding at a lovely Bed & Breakfast called Midway House. Ian and Annette were really great people and gave us a lot of tips and hints about where to go and how to get there. Our day in York was spent walking around, enjoying the sites of very cute school children, and taking pictures next to old monuments. Such as this Roman column that was found during some different excavations of the city. We had a lot of fun. It really is a very beautiful city and has great character. If anyone is planning on going to England I would really recommend going there because. Now here are just a few more pictures with some captions to describe our next few days there.

It is said that the "Heart of the City" is
in the York Minster. You can see
the truth in this statement by
the stained glass.
Mom took this picture after I made the
statement of, "Hey mom! Check out this big
chunk of old rock! Take my picture with it,
will you?"

This is a bit of a stretched panoramic view of
the front of the York Minster. It started
being built in 1220!! I couldn't believe that this building
had started being built over 500 years before my
country even began!








Mom and I inside the York Minster. Our
smiles are a little more 'genuine' in this
particular picture because after I set
the timer, I almost broke the door
we're leaning against when I jumped
over a guard rail toget next to her. :) Oops!
This is one of my favorite pictures of the trip simply because it sort of sums
up my traveling philosophy and how well my mom was prepared to handle
it. On our way to the Lavender farm (which was great!) we drove by this
tower and I really wanted to stop and see what it was. So on our way back
to our B&B I convinced mom to stop so we could take a look. Sadly though,
there was a barbed wire fence. But hey! What is the point of being a farm
girl if you can't jump a few fences right? :) So after the coast was clear, and
after I convinced mom that it really wasn't that big of a deal, we got a few
pictures like this :)
Mom and I also had the great bonus of being able to stop
at the James Herriot musem in Thirsk. My family and
I have loved watching the old BBC series and reading the
stories, so for us to get the chance to actually go to the
museum was really special.
This is one of my all time favorite pictures
of the trip. :)


 This is one of my new favorite places in the whole world. Mom and I had the amazing opportunity to go to Scotland and visit one of the castles along the route of the "Reavers". Apparently our ancestors used to stop here too :) Although mom and I prefer to call them 'border patrol'. :) It was really such a beautiful and amazing structure. I couldn't believe how huge and detailed the entire building was. The last two pictures are also from our trip there. It was just so beautiful and inspirational.


It really was an amazing trip and I can't believe that I was lucky enough to get to go. My mom and I had a truly wonderful time together. It was so much fun to get to travel around together, get lost, drive through sheep pastures, eat strange in car picnics, and just be together. :) Next post, the rest of our adventure and a touch of our sarcasm :)

No comments:

Post a Comment