it is the courage to continue that counts. - Winston Churchill

Monday, June 13, 2011

Frodo and Sam have no idea...

So I figure what better time to catch up on a little blogging then during my second ministry week? Especially since I'm pretty sure my last post is about my first ministry week and well we've had at least one or two things happen since then. So one thing that I thought I'd write up about was our hike up a volcano. (Which actually took place before last ministry week - sorry this is all so out of order but hey, at least you're hearing about it right?) Well a few of us decided that it would be a really great idea to hike up to the top of Mt. Ngaurugoe. And of course, it wouldn't be difficult enough to attempt this alpine hike with 15 people, only 2 of which have ever actually seen the mountain before, we decided that we should do it in the middle of the night. That way we could see the sunrise from the top cause hey, why not.

.....

I can list 3 very good reasons why not.
1) Wind
2) Sleep Deprivation
3) Fog

If only I had those three reasons before we started the hike. So we set off in our little caravan of three cars at about midnight from the school (i was running off of about 6 hours of sleep at this point, not bad). and we started driving and driving and driving. Thankfully my friend Jonas stayed awake to keep me company and to be my D.J.Well we got the the base at about 3:00 AM and decided to jump out and start our hike.
Still in the parking lot - ready to go!
So we began our walk, myself in the front and my friend Dan in the back. I was the only one in the group who had walked this way before and knew how to get to the base of the mountain. After walking for about an hour or so along some rather boring paths and then up some horrific stairs that almost killed me we found what we were looking for and started trekking upwards.

Three hours and piles of agony...



There really isn't any path to the top you just go "up" really. So up we went... and we climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed. I have to be honest and say that for at least 2/3 of the hike I was on my hands and knees because a) it was just easier to get up that way because the terrain was just loose dirt and rock that was impossible to find a firm foothold in and b) if I stood upright I would've gotten blown off the mountain. The amount of wind that we were facing was just insane. Although it was very creepy and cool with the fog. Until we realized that the fog meant we were freezing cold. Have I mentioned yet that I was doing all this with a very bad head cold? Yeah not really the wisest choice but oh well. Eventually we made it up to the top (to be honest I never would've made it without my friend Nick. I never knew how true the verses of Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 were until this hike). It was absolutely beautiful up there I have to be honest. I wish I had picture to do it justice but sadly I don't. It was a magnificent view and it was so cool to see God's creation from such a great height. After the two and a half hour climb to the top it was a great reward to see the surrounding mountains and valleys and the sunrise. It was much more fun going back down though. We mainly skied/slid/ran back down in the loose dirt and gravel. It was super fast and really easy. The most dangerous thing was just making sure you didn't dislodge any rocks which might hit your friends below you. I think we timed it and we made it back down the mountain in maybe 20 minutes?? hehe After that we decided to drive to the town of Taupo and to hang out for the day there. "Hang out" is a phrase which used here means, "eat a late lunch and sleep in the park till dinner time, get the best pizza on earth and then head home". That was an awesome experience and a really great day all in all. Yes I was miserable and in pain and agony most of the time but I am crazy happy that I did it. But yeah, Frodo and Sam have no idea how hard it is to hike a volcano, no idea...
Off to find my next adventure! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment